Monday, February 8, 2010

Mondays with Evelyn

Every Monday Rosie and I visit my 95-year-old friend Evelyn. Evelyn and I sit together in her neat little house where she still lives independently and sip tea and chat while Rosie sits patiently, sometimes impatiently, at her feet waiting to play ball. I can't say enough about this incredible woman. She's tall and slender with impeccable posture and can bend over and pick up a tennis ball as easily as I can and I'm many years her junior. Her mind is sharp and she remembers everything. Once the tea and biscotti are consumed, Evelyn invites Rosie to play ball by throwing it across the room. Rosie jumps happily at the invitation and brings the ball back. She drops it at Evelyn's feet. Sometimes it rolls under the chair so that Evelyn can't reach it. Rosie scoots under the chair, grabs the ball, and drops it again at Evelyn's feet. Evelyn throws it and the two of them go on like this for about ten throws, bringing much joy to both of them. 
Rosie has come to expect this weekly visit and carries on excitedly when I say, "Let's go see Evelyn." If I couldn't drive and Rosie could, she'd know exactly how to get there!  

1 comment:

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting Evelyn a few weeks ago when she came into my store ... an incredibly lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete